Thursday, May 25, 2006

 

Introductions

I guess I get to start us off. As part of the summer of code, we (the students) will be posting here once a week (or more often) with information on our development. I guess I'm going to be the first one to post. Just to get into the habit of posting, I'm going to start this week with a post introducing myself and telling a little about how my project is shaping up.

As for myself, I'm going to be heading into my senior year at New Mexico Tech in beautiful Socorro, New Mexico. (Anybody that's been to Socorro will catch the sarcasm here.) I'm a Computer Science major, and my main interest is in languages (computer and human). For the duration of the summer I'll be in or around Las Cruces, NM.

My project is a complete Perl 5 parser with Perl 6 output. From my first bit of contact with my mentor (Larry Wall, who I'm very excited to get to work with), it turns out the Perl 5 parser is more complete then I originally knew, so it looks like I'll be heading straight into the translation aspect. My goal for the remainder of this week/the begining of the next is to get a good design document together, hopefully with a complete listing of all changes that need to be made to convert Perl 5 code to Perl 6. From there I'll move into actual development.

That's it for me for now, I look forward to seeing updates from the other SoC students and getting to colaborate with the Perl community.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?